Pages

Don't go breakin' my heart

Sunday, August 23, 2009

We have a little breakfast place that we like to go to with the kids on special occasions. The kids love to get Mickey Mouse pancakes. The first time we ordered them, I was worried they wouldn't eat them because the restaurant uses maraschino cherries and pineapple pieces for the face. My kids can be a little picky so I was worried that the juices that soaked in from those fruits would turn them off. Shockingly they gobbled them up. Now when we tell them we're going for Mickey pancakes they get super excited.


Bill's favorite meal is "brinner" which is breakfast for dinner. So, one day I had a brilliant idea of making Mickey Mouse pancakes for dinner. I decided to use chocolate chips for the face. I made sure that the pancakes had cooled before putting the chocolate chips on so they wouldn't melt and the kids could just pick them off.

I thought they turned out ok for my first try. I was so excited for the kids to see them. When Rori came to the table for dinner, she said, "Ew, gross!" and in effect, broke my heart. Liam on the other hand was much more excited and said "Mickey pancakes!" I told Rori she hurt my feelings, and she, ever the diplomat said, "I love your cooking mama, but I just don't like the chocolate chips on my pancakes because they're getting melty." And then the proceded to switch pancakes with papa (I knew better than to put chocolate chips on his Mickey pancakes).

So much for my brilliant ideas...

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

The Mickey pancakes were wonderful, and I am sorry that Rori can be her father's daughter sometimes when it comes to food. Brinner is the best though--Bill

Heidi said...

They turned out so well and look so yummy!

Anonymous said...

I am thoroughly impressed with your culinary skills. Love you! Mom (Reminds me of the first Barbie cake huh?)

Anna said...

Cute!

Jenna said...

Poor Jaimers. I bet Noah would have eaten your pancakes. That's one of the only breakfast things we can get him to eat. I think they looked very cute.