Pages

Attitude Check

Monday, May 3, 2010

I have no idea what my spiritual gift is. I think I was absent the day they were handed out. Evangelism? nope. Administration? Have you seen my desk? nope. I have taken the inventories, and they are not very helpful. I have tried to think of ways to serve in our church using my skills. It's hard because honestly, and I'm not saying this so everyone will say nice things about me, I don't feel like I have useful gifts. One day, before I was pregnant I saw a sign up sheet for Meals on Wheels. This seemed right up my alley. I love to cook! I look forward to the week that we have main dish for our small group. I love cooking different types of food than what I normally serve my picky family. I get to experiment with new things. Anyway, so I signed up.

I never got a phone call. That is, until a week ago. The person that heads it up called me and asked when I could bring a meal to a family from our church. They have 11 children. Lucky for me, 4 of them are no longer at home. I hemmed and hawed, thinking, "don't you know that I have 3 small children and I work two days a week." She wasn't going to let me off the hook. So I chose last Friday. I felt quite indignant that someone would ask me to do that when I had so much on my plate--especially since it was for 9 people! Enter, attitude check. I felt God nudging me, and I felt ashamed. Every Sunday people serve my family. They teach Rori and Liam about Jesus, happily change Brendan's poopy diapers, and Bill and I sit in the sanctuary enjoying the service. Here I was grumbling about making a meal, something I enjoy, something that I signed up to do and hadn't been asked once in the previous year to fulfill. So, I changed my attitude and made a delicious meal, hopefully blessing the family by having one less thing to think about.

I ended up being blessed in return for making the meal. Sunday, when we went to church, the dad came up to us and asked if I made it from scratch and said they loved it. Then one of the little girls said to me, "my mom said that whoever made that meal knows how to cook!" I was humbled, touched, and ashamed of my initial attitude. I am ready for the next Meals on Wheels phone call. Unless it's a meal for the Duggars. I don't think I have a pot big enough to cook for them!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am very proud of you. Your meals are always a treat to eat, even the ones for your picky family. Now that this post is out there, I hope the Duggars don't see it, they just had another baby you know.--Bill

Jenna said...

Good Job, Jaimers! You are a good cook. I want chicken enchiladas!

Baba HooHoo said...

I want drip beef, and then pot roast and mashed potatoes and then how about some truffles and a TDay turkey and stuffing and...

Anna said...

I'm sure it was delicious...sounds like they thought so too!:o)