Pages

The Vomitorium, Cupcakes, and Gallbladders

Tuesday, January 18, 2011


You can plan and plan, and life often doesn't fall into place the way you want it to. This last weekend, is an example. Faith's birthday was Saturday. This was the first year we decided to "celebrate" it. Rori wanted to make her cupcakes--Oreo cupcakes! She was very excited and asked, "who are we going to celebrate with?" Well, it just so happened that we had planned on going to my parent's house on Saturday and my sister and her family were coming too. So we made cupcakes, I made cookies--just to make sure there would be enough dessert. It was working out well that we were all going to be there on Saturday because my mom was having her gallbladder out on Monday. I think my mom was looking forward to the distraction.

The kids decorated the cupcakes--I even swirled the frosting on to make them prettier. Then my mom called and Jenna and her family wouldn't be coming. Jenna had a stressful week and was exhausted. I was bummed because we were looking forward to seeing the kids too.


After we made the cupcakes, the kids were all upstairs watching television in my bedroom. I came downstairs to start working on Faith's blog post. I heard coughing. And then a shout. More coughing while I was running up the stairs. Rori had vomited all over our bed, my pillows, and carpet. I called Bill's mom to come over to help me take care of the other two kids while I stripped the sheets and got Rori cleaned up. A few hours later, Liam started throwing up. Every half hour until the wee hours of the morning, the kids were vomiting. We were officially in the vomitorium. I called my mom and broke the news to her that we wouldn't be coming the next day either. I would be going to the store for new pillows!

We were all really disappointed, and the kids still felt a little off on Saturday, so while we sang "Happy Birthday" to Faith, we didn't partake in cupcakes (really, who wants the cupcakes made by children who proceded to toss their cookies within an hour of frosting them). Rori was very disappointed and still really wants to celebrate and make new cupcakes. So, we will do that in two weeks. Alas, it was not what we had planned, but life so rarely is. Just ask Brendan ;-)

I would appreciate prayers for my mom's recovery--she has a tougher recovery than normal because of her diabetes as well as the fact that her gallbladder was pretty inflamed. She's feeling pretty miserable and would appreciate prayers for a speedy healing!

4 comments:

april said...

I love the way you describe the cough screaming puking its all so vivid! So sad that you didn't get to celebrate at all! Can't wait to hear about it! And I am praying for you mama! xoxo

Anna said...

Ugh! That has happened to us so many times too. All the planning and then....! Oh well.....glad you've scheduled a make-up (and got new pillows).:0) Hope your mom's recovery pain goes away very soon!

Anonymous said...

At least the Bears won and you got a new pillow out of it. We are praying for you Vicki--Bill

Jenna said...

The cupcakes looked delicious, Jaimers. We were the vomitorium the last time there was a 3 day weekend.