Pages

Kindergarten Registration

Thursday, February 23, 2012

Today, Kindergarten registration started at 9:00 AM. I needed to register Liam so I figured instead of taking the kids to school at 8:40, getting back home by 8:45 and turning around and going right back, I would ask if I could hang out at the school until registration. I hoped they would just let me fill out my forms since I had Brendan with me, and by the time I was done it would be time for registration and they could take my proof of residency documents.

I told the office lady that I had dropped Liam off at his Early Childhood class and needed to register him for Kindergarten. I asked if it would be alright if I waited instead of taking Brendan home and coming right back. The office lady said I could wait and sit at the table. She did NOT offer me to get started on the forms, which were already sitting on the table staring at me. So, for 20 minutes we waited. I stared at the forms and had an internal battle in my head that went something like this:

Bad Me: Just grab the forms and start filling them out

Good Me: But what if I get in trouble

Bad Me: Brendan is going to get restless--they are just on a power trip by making you wait

Good Me: Well, it said registration is at 9--what if there is someone special coming to give instruction?

Alas, Good Me won. I obediently waited. At 9:00 AM the exact same lady that I talked to came out of the office--took the proof of Residency forms from the couple that had just shown up and handed them forms to fill out. Then the lady turns to me and says, "Did you say your son was in the Early Childhood program?" I nod. "Well then you don't need to register him--he's already in the system." End Scene.

4 comments:

Jenna said...

I laughed when I read this because that describes how schools operate to a "T", and I work in one!

Anonymous said...

I am proud of you for not yelling at the lady, because I most likely would have.--Bill

Anonymous said...

I usually am the "good" girl too and this is what usually happens. I will call her up and as your mommy yell at her if you wish! It would be my pleasure.

Anonymous said...

Are you kidding..that seriously happened?! You have much more restraint than I would have. Jaime, you seriously crack me up. You need to start your own column or something because you are such a good storyteller and can make everyday things so hilarious! Miss you! --Lisa Lummen