Pages

Kitchen requests

Thursday, September 20, 2012

The great Plague of 2012 is upon my house, and has been for a month. This has made for a great deal of snuggling with whomever is sick at the moment, or single parenting while it was Bill's turn to be sick. This hasn't left me much time to enjoy cooking or baking. I have been pretty tired during the day because every night, for a month, somebody in my house has been up coughing.

My family has not greatly missed my cooking and baking, mostly because they all are happy to subsist on hot dogs and cereal bars. Honestly, I don't know whose children these are--oh wait, they're Bill's! But, in the last three days or so, I have gotten requests for chocolate chip cookies (actually, that's an almost daily request from Bill), oatmeal scotchie cookies, banana bread, and my friend Leslie's coffee cake and her cinnamon bread. I am absolutely delighted by this! So, today, I made 3 of the 5 requests--with Brendan's help. He absolutely loves to cook and bake. The other day, I went downstairs and saw him looking at my new cookbook and he begged me to let us make the cookies on the page. Sadly I didn't have softened butter so he had to wait until today. Tomorrow, we are going to make the other two requests. I am incredibly happy to accommodate any requests for food since they are few and far between. It has been my dream to open a bakery. However, my bakery wouldn't open until 11:00 AM because I am NOT a morning person. Also, I don't like mass producing things, so there would only be one batch of everything, so if it was gone before the customer got there, too bad. Clearly I don't have the best business model...
Anyway, I know that in about a month or so, it is going to be awhile  before I have the opportunity to do a lot of baking again. We are remodeling our kitchen!! Wahoo!!!!

We have lived in our house for 11 years and I have always hated my kitchen. I literally have 2 feet of counter space to work with. It's awful. Making things that require multiple bowls, or rolling out dough, makes me incredibly irritable because there is NO room! Bill and I decided that with the housing market being not so good, we might as well make our house how we would like it. So, we went to Menards and picked out new cabinets and redesigned our kitchen. I will now have at least quadruple the counter space!!! I am beyond excited and slightly terrified as this is the largest investment we have ever made in our home. But oh, what a happy camper I will be when it is done. The cabinets will be in sometime at the end of October and then we will begin. Bill thinks it will take two weeks, I am guessing it will be January before it's done--but that's because my glass is half empty with a leak, and his is half full.

Now, if I can just find someone to do the massive quantity of dishes I accumulated today...

(sidebar--since I don't post on a regularly scheduled basis, I have added an email sign up. If you don't want to keep checking to see if there is a new post, just type your email address in and it will be sent to you inbox each time there is a new post--complete with pictures (well, when I post pictures, that is)).

5 comments:

Baba HooHoo said...

May the force be with you thru January. I am very excited for you and are you sure you even have 2 feet of counter space now...make sure you take before and afters!

Jenna said...

I would like zucchini bread. Fulfill my request please.

Unknown said...

Wow, you baked 3 things in one day. Overachiever! And for the record, I had already signed up for the email updates so that I don't have to check back. :)

Anonymous said...

I was very happy when I got home from work yesterday! I can't wait for our new kitchen.--Bill

April said...

Umm when we did our kitchen their were still things like trim that were not done for a year after.....so don't hold your breath on the January or your gonna pass out ;)
wow I only baked one thing yesterday.....zucchini bread wish Jenna lived closer I woneuld share some!