Pages

Today's Christian Woman

Thursday, May 28, 2015

My dear friend Suzi came to visit from Croatia last summer (well they were here raising support for missions, but I will pretend it was to visit us). Suzi has always been very encouraging in my writing and she was absolutely shocked that I had never asked to write anything for publishing company (Christianity Today) that I have worked for for 13 years. She offered to write a letter to the editor asking them to let me write. It was an incredibly sweet, albeit mortifying, gesture. Word got to my friend Ashley, who knows our Croats. She was going to start working for Today's Christian Woman along with her editing job at Church Law &Tax. She told me that once she started at TCW she was going to ask me to write an article for them. I was over the moon! A month later, she quit her job to freelance (very successfully, I might add). So...crap. Since my new resolution this year was to be brave, I was going to have to put on my big girl underpants and just ask the editor myself.

After much whining and asking for encouragement from family and Ashley, I typed up an article idea and sent it to the editor along with some links to my blog. Then I curled up in the fetal position and rocked. And checked my email every five minutes. Unfortunately, or fortunately, depending on how you look at it, she works remotely so I couldn't walk past her office several times a day so that she wouldn't forget me. Being the super nice and professional person that she is, she responded pretty quickly that she was swamped but promised to get back to me. And she did! And she liked my article idea! I didn't tell many people, for fear that the article would get cut (the anxiety meds help with day to day stuff, but I still have my fear of rejection ;) ). But yesterday, my article went live, and 99% of the feedback has been very positive. I am prepared for some people to disagree with my choice, but I have developed a thicker skin in the last year--and not just from my thyroid weight, so I should be able to handle it. I am so thankful for all my friends and family that have been so supportive and encouraging and I can't tell you all how much your kind words have meant to me! Here's the link to my article if you haven't read it yet http://bit.ly/1S7ovpY


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

See I tole you mama...Love, your MOM

Jenna said...

If people say something mean, refer them to me- I don't have a filter anymore.

Anonymous said...

So very proud of you, and the Croats really do come to vist us.--Bill

Anonymous said...

Jamie, check out https://www.ficm.org/
This is the website for Freedom in Christ (FIC). Neil T Anderson wrote several books, the most popular- Victory over the Darkness and the Bondage Breaker. These are great resources. If you could journey with a FIC encourager it would also enrich your life. The Grace course is also a must view. This resource has changed my life forever! These sessions are all over the continental USA, a call to the office can connect you to these sessions. You have nothing to loose!