Pages

Muffin Tin Lunch

Saturday, March 27, 2010

I have been trying to add more variety in my kids lunches and make it a little bit more fun. My mom told me about Muffin Tin lunches. She read on someone else's blog that their kids will eat anything out of a muffin tin. You can google it and there's a huge muffin tin meal movement out there! I decided to give it a go!

Liam wanted blue yogurt and Rori wanted red so I tried to give their tins that theme. I tinted vanilla yogurt with food coloring, gave them each some ham, colby jack cheese, apple slices, red or green (they don't have blue) goldfish, and red or blue m&m's. They thought it was so fun and asked for muffin tin meals for the next day too! What I liked about it was that they got a variety of foods instead of the chicken nuggets or hot dog and chips that I tend to lean towards. We also just watched Jami.e Oliver's Food Revolution--you should totally check it out--and it really solidified the idea that I need to give my kids more nutritional foods. I'm hoping that if I can find new ways to present food, they'll get excited about eating it. I have also noticed that when they help prepare it, they're more excited about eating it. Can anyone give me some tips on getting them to eat their veggies?! 

On a side note--I am totally going to be updating my blog more frequently. I have been busy and exhausted because my sweet baby boy has decided that napping isn't his idea of fun anymore. It's been difficult and stressful for me to get anything done, but since this is supposed to be a way to document memories for my friends and family, I'm going to make it more of a priority instead of sitting on my rear end catching up on our DVR :)  

6 comments:

Anna said...

Those are fun! We do the same thing on wood skewers (with the sharp point clipped off). Amazing what the kids will eat off a skewer!

Lesley said...

What a great idea, Jaime!! I should so try that with Austin and Katelyn. I know what you mean about trying to get them to eat more healthful foods and more variety. That Food Revolution show scares me- haven't seen it but I am afraid too. Thanks for the great idea!

Anonymous said...

We are able to get our kids to eat veggies by adding "dip dip" to things, like ranch dip with carrots or butter/pepper with corn.

Baba HooHoo said...

Very nice Mama...Do they have a "diver" muffin tin?

Anonymous said...

I am very proud of you for getting our kids to eat healthier--Bill

Karen Joy said...

I've had friends tell me they've been feeding their kids toothpick meals too! Everything tastes better on a toothpick or little fork at CostCo or Sam's, so they buy cute little toothpicks or tiny appetizer forks to stick in each bite on a plate, and their kids LOVE it. I haven't tried it yet personally, but it sounds like a great idea. I'm liking the muffin tin idea too - I need to get up the motivation to try them out!