Pages

Supermommy?

Friday, April 23, 2010

Last week I took all three kids to the park and was patting myself on the back for my preparedness. You want a snack? Got it! Poopy diaper? Changed it (actually changed 2 of those). Hand sanitizer, check! One mom even came up to me and asked for a kleenex. And while asking me she said, "of course you have one, you're so prepared. I bet if I asked you for a T-Bone steak, you'd pull one out of your bag!" Oh, how much more my hubby would love me if that were the case! Normally a trip to the park with three kids would have stressed me out--trying to make sure I had everything I needed, but I think I am starting to get the hang of it.

But we all know what happens when you think you're getting the hang of something...you get cocky and then learn a lesson. Today I had to make a quick trip to the grocery store--Jewel for a card for a wedding shower and few other things that I needed.. I normally shop at Super.Target or Mei.jer but I hate the cards at Super.Target--I don't like their selection and I think they're expensive, and Jewel is really close. Anyway, the nice thing about the other two stores is they have these big fancy carts that hold two big kids and a baby. Jewel doesn't. So, Rori and Liam walked and I wore Brendan in the Baby Bjorn because I didn't want to put him in the dirty cart and I didn't have sanitizing wipes. Apparently during the day, all the old people in the town do their grocery shopping at Jewel--riding on their mobile carts. I'm guessing it's because it's the oldest grocery chain in the area--the other two are newer and elderly are set in their ways. Heaven forbid they have to learn where the metamucil was located at another store. I'm just kidding; I know I'll get old and be scared to try new things too. But I vow not to run over small children with my mobile cart. So this is how our trip to Jewel went.

"Stay right by me."
"Watch out for that person"
"Stay here so you don't get run over"
"Don't touch that"
"No my middle child is a boy" (that was to one of the old people that complimented my adorable children).

There were about ten things on my list that I wanted to get. I got four. To be fair, it wasn't the kids fault. They did stay pretty close to me, but those mobile carts will take out small children no matter how close to you they are. I also made the mistake of going to the self check-out, which took twice as long because I had "helpers" wanting to put the items on the belt and bag them at the end.
Honestly, if I had to take the kids grocery shopping with me every time, we would never have any food to eat in the house! How do moms do it? If you have any tips, let me know! From now on it is strictly Super.Target or Mei.jer for me--no elderly drivers, and my kids are secured in the cart!

5 comments:

Anna said...

Sounds like a fun trip (I smile b/c we've been there).;O) It'll get easier each time you do it. I had a friend tell me that the kids need as much practice walking/learning how to behave in a store as we do taking them there (and living through it). We use the self-check out @ Jewel too. Pretty soon you'll have your own little baggers and won't have to lift a finger.

Baba HooHoo said...

I always took Dad with me or I went by myself...I was and am a big Chicken...You are not! But be kind to the elderly...I am turning into one of them

Anonymous said...

You have a special bag that has steak in it? I am proud of you for taking them. They will get better and pretty soon you'll only be taking two of them, while the other one is in school. Enjoy it now while you can--Bill

Anonymous said...

That's why I insist on pushing the cart. I look at it as a defensive weapon!
Love
Dad

Jenna said...

I had a similar experience, but I made Noah ride in the middle of the cart, because he almost got taken out by several old people when he was walking next to me. They all thought Juliana was a boy as well, even though she had enough pink on her. Good for you going out like that!