Pages

Mating of the vegetables

Wednesday, August 4, 2010

This year my zucchini, while having giant plants, have not produced the size and quantity of vegetables that they did last year. Several of them got to be just larger than baby carrots and then they start to rot. I was getting really frustrated until I googled it. It appears that the problem is that earlier in the summer we set up a bee trap to keep the bees away from the swing set. My garden is near the swing set, so we set the trap on the other side of the yard. I haven't noticed too many bees in the last month or two. Apparently the bees take the pollen from the male zucchini flowers and put them inside the female ones. If this doesn't happen, the zucchini stop growing and are small and rot. So, the sites I looked at suggested that I pick the male flowers and pull the petals off and tickle the inside of the female flower with the stamen. It sounds kind of naughty, but I may try it. If the neighbors hear giggling from me in the backyard, it's probably because I am mating my zucchini.

5 comments:

Anna said...

I thought my contacts were blurry when I saw the title of your post. :0) Haha! I hope the kids will be napping when you go out there!;0) I read that about pumpkins too. We don't have that problem....I see all those bees out there every AM when the flowers are open. My problem is pumpkin plant mildew....I've been spraying those leaves down everyday with baking soda & water. I'm losing the battle......good luck on yours!

Anonymous said...

Two posts in two days? What's going on here? Please keep the kids away when you help out our plant friends. They don't need to know about the birds and the bees yet.--Bill

Baba HooHoo said...

I'm thinking the giggling will be from the zuchini and mama...

Baba HooHoo said...

PS What would the veggie tales think of this?

Jenna said...

OMGosh, I laughed so hard I snorted like a pig- to quote Noah. I watched a clip on the news about there being a decrease in the amount of bees, and people having to set up their own hives to help preserve the species- yes, my nerdy self is coming out.