Pages

Miscommunication

Monday, August 9, 2010

Apparently I am getting deaf in my old age and I can't hear or understand people on the phone anymore. Today, I was at Target buying a booster seat for Rori. I wasn't sure if it would be ok if I bought a backless one since it was for Bill's car and I didn't want to spend the extra money for one with a back. However, if it meant that I was an irresponsible parent by getting the backless one, I would shell out the additional $30. So, I called my friend, April, since she was on my mind because I had been discussing our church outreach with her earlier, and she has 4 kids--one of which is Rori's bestie, or BFF, or bosom friend, or kindred spirit, as it may be. Anyway, April didn't answer the phone, but called me back as I was checking out, so I was a little distracted--at least that's what I blame it on. This is how the conversation went:

Me:  "Is it okay if I get a backless booster?"

April: "Yes, Rachel and Maya have backless ones. It's totally fine. Oh shoot I forgot Rachel's socks! They won't let her go to school without them next Monday!"

Me: "Um. Okay. That stinks. Bye."

Actually, we chatted a bit more, but I thought, "how odd. Rachel's school has some serious restrictions on hygiene. I guess they don't allow sandals or something." Then I thought, well, I'm at Target, I'll call her back and offer to pick up socks and give them to her at church on Wednesday. I wonder if she needs a special kind. So, I called April.

Me: "Since I'm at Target, do you want me to pick up socks for Rachel and give them to you Wednesday?"

April: "Socks? Huh?"

Me: "I thought she needed socks in order to go to school on Monday."

April: "No....she needs shots."

Me: "Oh. That makes more sense."

The end.

6 comments:

Baba HooHoo said...

But you interpret so well for your dad and I...hahahaha

Anna said...

...and you didn't even have the kids with you.;0) Old age?....I don't think so. Or was it shotty boosters and backless socks?

Karen Joy said...

Hahahaha!!! LOVE it!!!!!

Anonymous said...

That's great! I hear that your hearing is the second thing to go, but I can't remember what's 1st to go.--Bill

Jenna said...

hahaha! LOVE IT!

april said...

Love it!!! Trust me I'm sure I was totally confusing! cause I was totally confused that day! By the way we did remember the shots on the second try!! and thanks of course for the offer of socks :)