Pages

Lessons for the week

Tuesday, December 30, 2008

I have learned two valuable lessons this week that I wanted to pass along to you.
Sometimes when Rori leaves her toys out and I get frustrated, I threaten that I am going to throw them out if she doesn't put them away. That usually gets her moving. No, this is not the lesson I'm passing along. Basically, I think she has learned that when something annoyes me, throw it out. A few weeks ago, I bought her a new nightgown. You've probably seen it in some of the recent pictures, as she pretty much lived in it for days (don't judge me). It was a pretty aqua flannel with Ariel on it. Last week, I noticed that I hadn't seen it for a day or so. I figured it would turn up when we did laundry. It didn't. I kept looking for it. Yesterday I asked her for the millionth time if she remembered where she put it. Finally she looked at me and said she put it in the garbage. I asked her why and she said because she couldn't get it on. Apparently she got annoyed with it and threw it out. I really think that I was sadder about it than she was (I don't think she really understood it was now gone forever).

So, lesson 1, when teaching your kids about garbage, tell them not to throw out perfectly good clothes that their mama just bought them.

Yesterday, I was proudly telling my friend on the phone that my kids were playing in the bathroom but I didn't need to supervise them because we told them you should only put toilet paper in the toilet. Not five minutes after telling her this, I heard the toilet flush and start to overflow. I ran in there and turned off the water as the bathroom was filling with water. I yelled calmly asked, "What did you do?" Rori said that they wet toilet paper and threw it in. I asked how much and she replied, "lots and lots." Great.

Lesson 2, when teaching your children that only toilet paper goes in the toilet, specify how much is reasonable. Then don't brag to your friends about what you've taught them.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hilarious.
Your munchkins are great kids and the memories you capture on your blog are going to have them laughing in the years to come. :)

Anonymous said...

Remember the blue paint? Genes, genes. I'm sorry Jaime. Love MOM

Anonymous said...

Pick up your dolly's clothes or I will throw them out!!! But my dolly only has one clo daddy! Memories Memories.
love,
dad

Anonymous said...

I want to hear about the blue paint.:) I have threatened and thrown things out and my kids don't seem to care. Sign of a bigger problem??????

Anonymous said...

This made me laugh. I think I am in store for lots of these types of stories. Austin and Katelyn will conspire against me. :) Good lessons, Jaime. I will keep these in mind.

Jenna said...

nice, something to look forward to when ladybug is big enough to get into cahoots with noah. i do remember the blue paint...

Anonymous said...

And we can't make up our minds if we want another so they can out number us?--Bill

Oliver Jones said...


Asking questions are really good thing if you are not understanding something completely, however this post presents fastidious understanding even. gmail.com login

Unknown said...


It's a pity you don't have a donate button! I'd definitely donate to this excellent blog! I guess for now i'll settle for book-marking and adding your RSS feed to my Google account. I look forward to brand new updates and will share this blog with my Facebook group. Chat soon! itunes login