Pages

We're not the worst!

Monday, December 29, 2008

I had to work today and Bill had the day off so that he could watch the kids. They came up to my work to meet me for lunch and we decided to have Burger King (that's right, we know how to treat ourselves). I have known since early in our relationship that one of Bill's biggest pet peeves is when kids don't behave in restaurants. We don't take our kids our to eat very often, and when we do, it is usually fast food. Rori would do fine in a place like Chili's, but Liam is just too little to sit still that long. Today the kids were extra excited because I think they missed their mommy :) After they were done eating, Liam wanted to get out of his high chair. I picked him up and put him in the booth next to Rori and me. Then they both wanted to get out so I let them. I told them to just stay by the table. They were being pretty good, but I could tell Bill was annoyed that they weren't sitting down. This may be where Bill and I differ in our parenting. Liam is only 1.5 years old. Frankly, I'd rather let him stand by our table and march and laugh than sit in his high chair wailing. I wouldn't do this in a nicer restaurant, but it was Burger King and there were like 4 other people in the place. Rori is able to sit the whole time, but she's 3.5 years old. I think there's a big difference. I'm probably wrong, and I know I'm a big softie, but really, they weren't being loud and they were staying right by us, just standing up. Anyway, I could tell Bill was getting annoyed, so we left. As we were leaving I saw a little boy--at least 3 years old that had pulled a chair up to the ketchup dispenser and was standing on it. He was pumping out ketchup into one of those disposable cup things and licking it out and refilling it--with his dad standing right there, gross. I felt a little vindicated as we were certainly not the worst parents at Burger King today. And, I think I am going to have to ask for ketchup packets from now on :)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm on your side on this one dolly. I think they are perfectly well behaved (at least until baabaahoohoo and I take them out to dinner alone!)
love,
dad

Anonymous said...

Which we have never done...I'd rather spend my time at home with them than driving somewhere in the car! Love MOM

Jenna said...

ew, that's so disgusting! i would let noah stand by the table too if it was a fast food joint.

Jenna said...

ps my blog is:
arayofsunshineandaladybug.blogspot.com