Pages

Symbiosis

Wednesday, December 9, 2009


Bill has always been the "baby whisperer" with our children. He could almost always get them to stop crying and go to sleep. There was a point in the early months of Liam's life that I didn't even think that he liked me. (That went away and for a while I was the only one he wanted--it was wonderful while it lasted). I assumed it would be the same way with Brendan. I was happily wrong! I feel like Brendan and I have a special relationship--symbiosis--if you will. Snuggling him calms me and it seems to work for him too. For example, the last two nights he has been crying uncontrollably while Bill was holding him. Bill tried all different ways of holding him to get him to stop, feeding him, swaddling him, nothing worked. Nothing worked, that is, until Mommy came along. Immediately, completely instantaneously, upon my putting my hands on Brendan and before he was even transferred to my arms, he stopped crying and didn't resume. It was wonderful and magical and made me feel so special. I pretty much melted into a puddle of love. I feel like I really know Brendan, I can easily figure out what he wants or needs, and I think because of this he rarely cries with me. I am not meaning to brag about my mothering skills, but I just really "get" him, you know what I mean? Bill on the other hand is a bit devastated to have lost his baby whispering skills, but we won't mention that to him.

I am going to enjoy this special time and hold onto it for as long as I can. With the other two, I couldn't wait until they could talk and walk and I just never really loved the infant stage. With Brendan, I don't want it to end any time soon. I realize now how quickly it goes by and how the snuggling and dependence for everything doesn't last forever. (Well, we still get snuggling from Rori and Liam, but sometimes I have to ask for it).

4 comments:

Baba HooHoo said...

I have also experienced a peace holding him that I certainly didn't think I would feel, especially with 2 other children...but the 2 understand and I can hold Brendan and not feel stressed. Maybe he will be my new high blood pressure rx.

Anonymous said...

I think it's because I hardly see Brendan. Rori was, is and always will be Papa's little girl. Rori was so busy playing barbies with mommy (Papa you don't play barbies right she would tell me.) that Liam was mine when I got home from work until bed. This one only gets to see me for bath time( which he loves and you think that would be a point for me) and when he was getting up in the middle of the night for feedings. He was so sleepy that he did not realize it was me. I am reading up on all things babies to get my Mojo back. Watch out Mommy--Papa

Anna said...

Caleb was the same way with me....and it will last...you'll have a special bond:0) Enjoy all the snuggling...Brendan is a cutie.

Jenna said...

I have to say, I also felt that in the brief moments that I got to hold Brendan the other weekend. He's a special little boy!