Pages

My 5K and my Birthday

Sunday, May 6, 2012

Both of my parents have pointed out that I appear to have quit blogging. I feel like I am at a place where I keep waiting for something of interest to happen that is worth posting about. However, I have probably missed some of the little things in anticipation of big things that haven't happened. So...I will try and post more...key word being try. :)

Let me start at the first celebration of my birthday. We like to drag out our birthday's as long as possible. A few weeks ago I ran my first 5K of the year. I have been trying to work on my speed because I almost always end up doing a 10 minute mile. My goal was to finish under 30 minutes. My friend and running partner, Leslie, gave me some new music to listen to and I think it really helped. I put on my new tunes and tried to run to the pace of the music. About three minutes in, I thought I might die. I contemplated walking. Then I decided that was ridiculous--I just ran this distance on the treadmill two days prior. So, I persevered. I ran until my lungs burned. Every time my iPod changed songs I could hear some poor person wheezing, thank goodness it was only for a few seconds before the next song started again.  Poor soul--I always had different people near me, so I have no idea who it could've been...  ;) At the end of the race, you're supposed to sprint. I didn't think I had anything left in me. But then Ke$ha started to sing, or whatever it is that she does--(I make fun, but I secretly enjoy her music), and I found one last burst of energy. I crossed the finish line in 27:29. That averaged a 9 minute 27 second mile. I was super happy! Out of 2900 runners, I finished (I can't remember exactly so it's give or take 2 places) around 330. So I am pretty happy with that. Granted, as I was walking to the car, I saw some old ladies crossing the finish line in their power chairs from the Scooter Store, so I am not sure how tough the competition was...but I'm proud anyway.

After the race we were celebrating my birthday with Nicki, my sister in law (our birthday's our a couple weeks apart) at Bill's parents house. She gave me some really cute running shorts and socks--perfect for my next race and Bill's parents gave me some new dishes because I hate my old ones. You put them in the microwave for 10 seconds and burn your hand pulling them out. They are of the devil. We had a lovely time--yummy food and cupcakes. Nicki is always good about bringing crafts for the kids--Rori especially loooooves anything craft related!

My actually birthday was this Saturday, but I got to celebrate a little early again. On Thursday I ran to my friend Leslie's house and then we ran to the gym. We worked out and then ran to her house. It started to pour about 2 blocks from her house. She offered to drive me home and said she had something for me for my birthday. She made me this awesome cake! It has chocolate chip cookie dough in between the layers and then chocolate chip cookies on the outside. I am so glad her love language is food too! Since I have zero self control, I dug in as soon as I got home--pre-shower. I am classy like that. I did put it on a plate  and used a fork. I am not a complete animal.
Leslie--this is how much I am thankful for you--I posted a picture of myself sweaty and rain soaked :) 
 Saturday my family came over and we celebrated my birthday, Juliana's birthday, and mother's day. It was a lovely day, we had sangria, Jenna and Ryan made minion twinkies for the kids, mom made me a strawberry cake, Ryan made his famous salad (do you think food is important to us?) the kids played, we exchanged gifts, Grandma Rose asked if we planted the dandelions in the backyard because there were so many, then more sangria was had, you know, typical family time :) After my parents left, Jenna, Bill, and I sat in the living room playing DrawSomething with each other on our iPods and Kindles. Jenna and I enjoyed making fun of Bill's inability to spell. Ryan was sound asleep in the family room. We are party animals. Seriously though, I love my family. I love that we put effort into the things that matter to each other. I honestly think that every person in my family is good at making each other feel special--going out of our ways to do things for each other. I am so thankful to be a part of it.

My gift from Bill

6 comments:

Jenna said...

More Sangria please ;-) It was a fun time

Baba HooHoo said...

Happy birthday baby girl...we planted the same dandelions here. Glad you liked the cake. It was a good time. Thanks for the shrooooms..........

April said...

LOVE Billy's gift!!!! Can't wait to see it in real life!!!

Anonymous said...

Its a cute picture, but I am super honored that you would post in my honor! Glad you had a great birthday week. Bill's present is beautiful...looking forward to seeing it. :) Leslie

Anonymous said...

Glad you enjoyed your B-day. Love you--Bill

Amanda Drietz said...

It was good to hear your thoughts!! I know what you mean about the waiting for something big-to blog about-but it is always a blessing to look back on the "littler" things in life too. The necklace is beautiful!!