Pages

The Zoo

Wednesday, May 23, 2012

I have been meaning to post this for a while, so it's kind of old news, but my blog, my rules right? I have been really busy and when I say really busy, I mean, falling asleep on the couch at 9 pm and when I say 9pm, I mean 8:30...

Anyway, I had the opportunity to be a parent helper for Rori's field trip to the zoo. I enjoy getting the opportunity to do these kinds of things because I always remember my mom helping in my classes. I had visions of Rori and I holding hands walking around the zoo, enjoying the beautiful weather. However, the day was not nearly as smooth as it went in my head. I should have taken one of my airplane Xanax before we went. We were each assigned 4 kids and were told to go off on our own and just meet back by the bus when it was time to leave. I also got to carry all of their lunches. My shoulder was killing me by lunch time! Thank goodness they didn't all have large bottles of water. There were some things that the teachers asked us to try to see because they've been learning about them in class. We were given maps. I am horrible with maps. The only place I can get around is the city of Chicago. That's because it is laid out super easily. Unfortunately, I am not that familiar with the zoo. I had to ask for directions twice. I felt like Joey on Friends when he's in England and needs to "get into the map" in order to read it. It's seriously a disability! The kids I got were good kids, but there were 3 girls and one boy. The boy didn't want to hold hands with a girl throughout the zoo. I can't really blame him. The zoo wasn't horribly crowded but whenever there were crowds of people I would start to panic. And then count heads. The whole day was spent saying, "Justice, come back here." "Jocelyn, stay with the group." "Heaven, hurry up." etc., over and over. I was sick of my own voice by the end of the day. I was thankful when it was time to find the bus. Which I was unable to do. Thankfully I saw another group from the class and followed them to the bus. Fortunately I did not lose anyone's small child, and I think the kids genuinely liked me, but alas, that was one of the nights I was in bed by 8:30.

A week or so later the school had a volunteer parent appreciation breakfast. I wasn't going to go because it was on a day that I worked, but Rori's class was going to sing to us. When I found that out, I wouldn't miss it! It was really nice. The teachers thanked us all and said what wonderful, involved parents we were. I left feeling pretty good. An hour later, my mom called me at work. I had forgotten to give Rori her lunch and snack and she had called from school. Ah, the irony...

I also wanted to post the picture of the last teacher appreciation gift I gave--mostly so that next year when I try to remember what it was that I made, I can come back and look :) I am so resourceful. The kids each picked out flowers and helped me plant them into the little pots. I printed out the signs and just plopped them in. Easy Peasy.

3 comments:

Jenna said...

So awesome that you forgot Rori's lunch- totally see myself doing that. I have to get into the map too.

Baba HooHoo said...

Hate maps...you are still wonder...ful woman to all of us.

Anonymous said...

I glad you had fun at the zoo, I told you the teachers look at the beginning of the year hoping they have those Patrick kids whose mom gives the best gifts. You are a great mom!!!--Bill