Pages

Like a Good Neighbor

Sunday, January 11, 2009

Shocker, Saturday we got a ton of snow again. Oh joy. This time I really did want the exercise since the holidays added a few inches to my tushy and my waistline. (You know I have toddlers when I say tushy). So, I went outside and about ten minutes into shoveling, I was cursing my husband for still putting off buying a snowblower and was planning on plagurizing my friend's Dear Santa blog post, when alas my kind neighbor, Amy, came over to tell me that her husband was getting gas for their snowblower and she would do our driveway too. I certainly wasn't going to let her do it by herself so I continued shoveling. I caught the eye of my neighbor across the street, whom I've never actually spoken to--just waved at while passing by. He motioned for me to come over and offered his snowblower. I thanked him and grabbed the handles to bring it across the street. The thing was a beast! It weighed a ton and it was all I could do to hang on. My whole body was vibrating and I had visions of Bill having to feed me my dinner because my arms were going to be so sore that there was no way I would be able to lift them to my mouth. Once I got to the driveway, I realized I had no idea how to turn the spout thingy to make the snow fly in the direction that you want it to go. So, essentially I was blowing the snow back where I had just removed it. I started to look longingly at my shovel. But, there was no way that I was going to quit; I wanted the nice neighbor to know that I appreciated his offer. I am pretty sure that I looked fairly inept, because not five minutes later he strolled over with a cigarette hanging from his mouth and pointed to himself (they are Polish so there is a slight language barrier) and said he'd do it. So, my two nice neighbors snow (blowed, blew?) my driveway for me. How nice was that? So, to repay my kindly neighbors, I'm going to make them some delicious Pioneer Woman cinnamon rolls, which I have since perfected. Once I do that, I'm pretty sure that I'll never have to shovel again :)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are too funny!!!!! -- I can see the whole scenario in my head. I'm glad your neighbors rescued you. Ours did too....:) Oh please, Santa, bring me that snow blower!!!! Maybe I should start writing to Cupid or the Easter Bunny.;) It's suppose to snow more.....is it spring yet?

Jenna said...

I want some cinnamon rolls too! At first I thought you were talking about creepy Ken snowblowing your driveway, but I'm glad it wasn't-then you'd owe him.

Anonymous said...

I always wondered if it was blowed or blew...I think its "they cleared the driveway" what you think my dolly. Right as Dad was finishing the driveway a pick up truck with plow arrived...guess your timing is just GOOOOD Love MOM

Anonymous said...

Just so long as you don't give chocolate chip cookies to strangers. They belong to me!!!
Love
Dad

Anonymous said...

While I am very thankful for my neighbor's help. Between me and the kids what are the odds that any cinnamon rolls make it out of this house? That's what my wonderful wife gets for being such a great baker!!!!!--Bill

Anonymous said...

Rolls, did you say rolls? I'll come and snowblow for cinnamon rolls. Those look soooo delish. I love her blog too. I'm obsessed with it since your mom told me about it. Your babies are too cute. Oh and those choclate chip cookies soung good tooo..oh dear.