Pages

Why a Sense of Smell is So Important

Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Since I have been afflicted with the "death plague" I have lost my senses of taste and smell. I thought taste would be the worst one to lose. My favorite foods look delicious, but don't taste like anything. It would really be a good time for me to indulge in some brussel sprouts or some other vegetable that I have yet to appreciate. Anyway, yesterday I discovered that the sense of smell is much more important than the sense of taste (and yes, I know that taste and smell are linked, blah blah blah). Anywhoo, Liam loves to play in the sink and "do dishes" and yesterday morning he was very excited to do that first thing. I let him play for a while and then he seemed to be getting sleepy because he is starting to get the "plague" as well. I took him downstairs to watch Mickey Mouse for a bit to just sit and be quiet. I rocked him on my lap and it was very sweet. Then he got his second burst of energy. We went upstairs to play and I noticed that my shirt was damp. I patted it to see if it was my imagination. It was damp. I wasn't terribly surprised because Liam usually gets his clothes wet when he does the dishes and yesterday was no exception, so I figured it just got on me from rocking him.
While he and Rori were playing, I started to empty the dishwasher. I had only done a couple plates and was working on the silverware when I saw Liam run by. The back of his pajamas had a big, dark, wet circle on them... I was horrified as I realized what had gotten on my shirt, and ultimately my hands when I patted my shirt. I brought Liam upstairs and cleaned him up, changed, washed my hands, and reloaded the dishwasher to rewash our now possibly poopy dishes. Didn't smell a thing the whole time! Rori, on the other hand, let me know how stinky it all was. Who would have thought I'd be upset that I couldn't smell a poopy blowout diaper?! Normally I would be appreciative, but thinking of all the things I could have contaminated is just gross. Ah, the things we take for granted.

5 comments:

Anna said...

Me too -- I haven't smelled anything in 3 weeks!!! I feel so much better after your story -- sorry for you -- but, so relieved! Will we ever smell again? If Caleb doesn't let me know that he has pooped -- McKenna will say, "Mommy it's starting to stink too much in here; please change Caleb's pull-up." Ugh! Mommies need a vacation!!!

Anonymous said...

Oh that is funny! My kids had diarrhea for a week one time, and at the same time I had no sense of smell either- had a nasty cold or something. We all know how awful diarrhea smells, and I wasn't able to smell it, even when Aaron said it smelled up the whole room. :)

Jenna said...

we will definitely have to tell that story at Liam's wedding... or when he has his first date

Anonymous said...

I remember poopie down the skinny leggies, into the socks and the shoes...what do you do first? Love MOM

Karen Joy said...

Oh man! That's nasty. I'm glad to hear things are going smoother, despite "the plague". I'm glad you're starting to perk up, and I can't wait to see you Friday night! Thanks for sharing your funny experiences - your writing is captivating, and I love reading your posts!