Pages

Tip Jars

Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Today I went to Subway for lunch. I've been to this Subway many times before. Usually the workers are quite grumpy and give me dirty looks when I ask for extra pickles, or maybe a third strip of green peppers on my sandwich. I just accept their bad attitudes, take my sandwich and leave. Today, on the other hand, after they grumbled that they were out of Honey Oat bread, gave me 2 strips of green peppers and crankily asked if I'd want chips and a drink, I noticed that they had a tip jar! What is the deal with that? After I am paying for a sandwich from cranky people that are going to make sure that I get no more than the amount that is allotted to my sandwich, I am supposed to give them a little extra? Frankly, it made me angry. Then I thought about the last time that I was at Dunkin Donuts--which was a while ago, because in my cheapness I have decided that paying $1.85 for a cup of coffee is silly--and they had tip jar too! So, for the twelve seconds it took for the employee to put some cream and coffee into a cup and ring me up--a job they're already paid to do--I'm supposed to put my change into a tip jar? Sorry if I'm cheap, but I'm starting to get annoyed at people for their sense of entitlement. It makes me not want to go places that have them because I get all squirmy and feel greedy when they hand me my change and I put it into my purse. Should my sister get a tip everytime she teaches a kid a new lesson, or should I get one everytime I hire someone? Maybe we should all put tip jars out on our desks and see how it goes :) Anyway, that's my rant for the day.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I completely agree with you. They are in the business of 'service' and when they put little to no condiments on my sandwich and don't even speak clear english, I am perturbed that they would expect to get more money from me. It's completely ridiculous.

Anonymous said...

This very much annoys me as well and I never leave a tip in those jars either. I don't understand how they think they are entitled to tips. Pretty soon we will see tip jars at McDonalds!

Anonymous said...

I'll give them a tip, get my order right! Love MOM

MOPSgirl said...

Tip jars at Starbucks on the drive-through shelf are the MOST annoying. Talk about already paying WAAAYYY too much in the first place for a cuppa joe, then they want a tip? ha ha It's been tempting to drive through and take some of my money back from out of the jar and drive off. lol

Anonymous said...

I used to think that way too until my son (who has worked at Starbucks for 6yrs)told me they count that as part of their pay per hour. I think of it as encouragement. It makes them feel good to know the people they are serving care just a little extra. So the next time you see a tip jar maybe you will be an encouragemt to
someone, who knows you may even get extra peppers! signed...guess who!