Pages

Day 2 of our 2011 Advent Calendar

Friday, December 2, 2011

Have you ever tried this popcorn? The first day I ever popped it in our microwave it smelled like a squirrel had died and was covered in Gruyere cheese. Yes. That bad. Even worse, the smell lingers for days. Everytime you open your microwave, you hunt for the dead squirrel covered in stinky cheese. Unfortunately for me, the kids loooooove it! I would've never thought that something so foul could be redeemed (wow, I can see a biblical lesson here, but I will skip it for today because it could be really "cheesy" wow--I must move on before it gets worse) anyway, I never would've thought it could be redeemed. However, one day I was at my dear friend, April's house. She opened her microwave and commented on the dead squirrel cheese popcorn smell. I smiled and immediately felt a misery loves company sort of camaraderie with her. So, now, everytime I make this popcorn, I smile and think of my lovely friend, April, how blessed I am to call her friend, and how she has also experienced this particular kind of foulness. Thank you, my friend, for redeeming this horror for me--it's reason number 784 why I love you :)

Now for tangent number 2,  I will take a minute and explain our advent calendar. Some days are fun things we get to do together, some are little treats (that's right, there may be a whole post devoted to smiley face cookies or Wacky Pack Wednesday at Sonic--hold onto your seats this could be a wild ride), some are things we are doing together for other people, and fortunately all the days are written on post-its (can anyone think of post-its without thinking of Romy and Michelle?) so that I can switch them out if I need to.

So, on that note, for day 2, the kids have school and right after school, Bill and I are bringing them to Grandma Casey's so that we can go get beautiful. Well, I'm getting beautiful. He already is. (We're getting our  holiday haircuts). So, I thought that for Day 2 it would be fun for them to watch Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer and eat cheesy popcorn. Sorry about the smelly popcorn Grandma Casey! :)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I feel so sorry for Grandma Casey cause that smell is God awful and it lingers for days and days. I loved that old school Rudolph holiday special. I am glad our children like to watch things many times over so I will get to see it. Tangent #2 Just to clarify my wife is already and always is beautiful I am the one that looks like a shaggy sheep that needs to be sheared. Tangent #3 two blog posts in two consecutive days it's a CHRISTMAS MIRACLE. Love you Babe--Bill

Anonymous said...

I feel so sorry for Grandma Casey cause that smell is God awful and it lingers for days and days. I loved that old school Rudolph holiday special. I am glad our children like to watch things many times over so I will get to see it. Tangent #2 Just to clarify my wife is already and always is beautiful I am the one that looks like a shaggy sheep that needs to be sheared. Tangent #3 two blog posts in two consecutive days it's a CHRISTMAS MIRACLE. Love you Babe--Bill

Anonymous said...

Haha! Cracking up about the popcorn. I've never had the pleasure of smelling it, but maybe I'll have to come check it out the next time you make it at home. PS...I love reading your blog!! -Leslie

Anonymous said...

Have a Romey and Michelle Day! So witty my little girl! So witty! Love, Baba HooHoo PS Bill does look like a long haired sheep! Love Rudolph too, was always one of my faves, even when I was growing up!