Pages

Day 9 of Advent

Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Today we got to go to Leslie's Chili, Cookies, and the Care Center party! I loved this activity for many reasons. Number one was that I didn't have to do anything!!!! Actually, I did do one thing. But let me back up and explain the party. Leslie and her family attend a church that is starting a Care Center. It offers many different things to people who need help such as a food pantry, employment training, ministry, and a clothing store. Jon and Leslie decided to have a party and asked people to donate new or gently worn clothing for the clothing store. This is one of the things that I love so much about my friend. She sincerely wants to help people, and she makes it really fun for others to join in. She and Jon are marvelous hosts. They made it an open house so people could come and go as they pleased. While we were there, at one point there were 30 kids at their house! I get crabby when hosting 4 people, let alone 30 kids plus who knows how many adults. Jon and Leslie had smiles on the whole time, made sure everyone had what they needed, and never once looked at all flustered. Seriously amazing!
Look at all that beautiful food!
Aaron, James (in a transformers costume), Liam, and Andrew enjoying some treats

Rori and her friend Allison--Rori was thrilled that Leslie made her favorite--oatmeal scotchies!
 Anyway, Leslie spend the day before baking 6 types of cookies as well as fudge and cake pops and her husband prepared a huge batch of chili and toppings. On top of it all, she had a bunch of crafts for the kids to do. We all had a wonderful time and ate lots of good food. The only thing I had to do was have the kids help me gather clothing for the care center. It was another good opportunity to point out how fortunate we are and how God has blessed us and expects us to bless others as well. The kids really liked feeling like they were helping other children by giving away their things.
Craft time!

Thank you Jon and Leslie for being such wonderful hosts--having smiles on your faces the whole time, for teaching my kids to be generous and loving to others, and for giving me an easy Advent Activity!

2 comments:

Baba HooHoo said...

Holy cow!

Unknown said...

You're too nice! Thanks for supporting our advent activity. I have to say I was a little worried people would be annoyed by our requests to donate stuff at a busy/expensive time of year. So thankful for your family's willing participation! It sounds like we'll be doing this again next year, so save room for it in your advent calendar!